Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Barnwell and "Saber-Tooth Curriculum" response

We are at a truly unique point in history. That seems ridiculous to say, as every time in history is unique. But when people look back on this period of time, it will be seen as the dawn of the electronic era. We are the historical transition from the pen and paper to the desktop and mobile device. And as we trek forward into progress through actions of unknown consequence, the issues churned up in our wake will be our signals of warning to the future. The Paul Barnwella article touches on one such issue.

The reason I talk about this particular technological advancement (The use of mobile devices, particularly in classrooms) in such a hyperbolic light is because we are just starting to see the impact it is having.

This is the nature of all development, really: Fast food was an effective way of mass distribution, quick service, and low cost; fossil fuels were readily available, a lucrative business, and made energy readily available; the mass production of entire cities in China was an effective means of dealing with a huge population influx; etc. Looking back these examples, we see how the initial response to each situation respectively made sense. We also see now that these seemingly harmless responses were anything but.

The same is starting to be seen in the use of mobile devices. According to Barnwella:

“I came to realize that conversational competence might be the single-most overlooked skill we fail to teach students.” 


It is true. In our quest to reject the antiquated for the up-and-coming, we have sort of lost sight in the value of foundational skills, like the conversation. I think this is the point being made in “Saber-Tooth Curriculum.” It begs the question: do the benefits of mobile devices outweigh the obstacles they present?

2 comments:

  1. Rich, I really like how you contextualize this change--as one among many, among which we can see patterns--and this time period--as one of many times of change, but one that is also singular in terms of the speed with which change is happening. I have an iphone, and I have genuinely considered getting rid of it--for reasons you can probably imagine, reasons that lots of people have written about. I probably won't...but I've weighed the very question you ask here. I think it's an important question for teachers to consider...and also probably an important one for students to have time to think through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly, I actually considered the same thing while in Korea, and briefly did it. My phone had just broken and, rather than replacing it, I decided to just go without a phone for a while. I was at a point where I realized that it did nothing good for me; it distracted me when it shouldn't, it was expensive, and nobody called me with anything positive to say anymore. The only time my phone would ring was either when someone was telling me that i owed them money, or someone was soliciting, or someone at work was telling me that I need to do more work (likely unpaid). I actually lived in fear of my ring tone. So I went without.

    It was liberating.

    For me, a cellphone was a means of tackling multiple issues simultaneously. I used it to pay bills, make reservations, discuss work, post homework, help my students with school work. All this would happen while I was in transit to work, on the subway, writing emails to my boss, applying to graduate schools, dealing with family issues, at the bank, shopping, HAVING A CONVESATION....it was and is ridiculous.

    The cellphone is an attempt to make two of myself.

    When you don't have one, things start to categorize themselves. I have work issues? That means that, when I get to work, I deal with those issues. And, when I leave, they are done. I'm walking or riding the train? Yup, that's what I'm doing. nothing more. I have bills to pay? Ok, I'll get a cup of coffee, sit on my couch, and start my online transfers. When they are done, I will move on to the next thing on my checklist.

    I actually loved the experience of not having one. Unfortunately, my work eventually told me that I NEEDED to have a cellphone. Friends became angry with me because they didn't know where I was or what I was thinking. So my experiment ended the way I assumed it would: with me getting a new phone. But for reasons I did not foresee: the rest of the world could not deal with me not having one.

    ReplyDelete