Thursday, October 23, 2014

A Bitchy Flibbertigibbet.

I am absolutely tickled pink that this is a real expression, verifiably. The next time I am offended by someone, I will be sure to call them this.

“Slaughterhouse Five” has been on my literary bucket list for a long time now. I have always labelled myself a Kurt Vonnegut fan and, until very recently, I didn’t realize that I was basing that assumption off of the fact that I read one of his books about 7 years ago.

Unlike the other book I (called “Slapstick”), I actually had a really hard time getting into this book. I have heard nothing but good things, so I struggled through the beginning. I must have read page 15 at least 7 times, as I just couldn’t get invested and my mind wandered as a result.
I am glad I did eventually muscle through it, as my efforts have been thusly rewarded.
This book, so far, appears to be about time travel. I am glad that I had no previous knowledge about the content of the book, because figuring this part out has actually been the redeeming aspect of this story for me.

So it goes.


Anyway, I don’t want to give away too much of the story, as I would be pretty unhappy to read a review that gave away the goings on of the book. Either way, at the halfway mark, I am beginning to understand why this book is a cult classic.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Rich! Someone else wants to read this too--Mads, maybe?--so maybe you two can communicate about it. Yes, please don't give the ending away--I haven't read it. But when Dr. Jarvis comes back from sabbatical next semester, you might talk to her--she is working on a research project about him.

    ReplyDelete