Monday, November 3, 2014

Frankenstein - First post

I have had a lot of time to think this weekend. Knowing that I would be cramped up in a small, depressing room, I decided to take a book I could try to get into. I read this book in its entirety, so I will dedicate this post to what I thought about the book, and the next to how this completely blew my expectations out of the water.

“Frankenstein” is a book that I have always wanted to read. It has been sitting on my book shelf for over a year now, as I was supposed to teach a class about Gothic Literature last year. The class got cancelled after two weeks, so I never had the opportunity to read it.


I have to say that it could very well be one of the best books I have ever read. I won’t ruin the story for anyone in this blog post, but let this be a preemptive warning to all the people who (usually don’t) read my blog: the next one will be filled with spoilers. First of all, Mary Shelley was just a pretty badass writer. Even when there was nothing particularly spectacular happening, she was able to write in a fashion that is just attractive. And this means quite a bit coming from me, as I am not even really into fictional writing. Anyway, yeah…it’s a good book.

2 comments:

  1. Rich, I haven't read the book, but I just saw the filmed play production starring Benedict Cumberbatch at the Opera House with Professors Liggins and McRae. It was REALLY good, if you ever have a chance to watch it. I am so glad you found it so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Frankenstein in ninth grade, which was ridiculous. It was so difficult for my peers and I to grasp, and I struggled. However, I have read it since then, and I am currently taking a Romantic Period of Literature class in which we are soon to read it, for me the third time, and I truthfully could not be more excited. Especially now understanding the common motives and themes that came out of Romantic Age writing and knowing their way of thinking and viewing the world, I appreciate this novel so much, and it is truly a staple in literature for me. I don't know if I would teach it to freshmen in high school as it was first taught to me at that age, but seriously, I am so happy you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete